Sunday 16 March 2008

Hello

For months I have intended to start a blog of this kind, and procrastinated myself out of it. No more prevarication! I cannot say yet how its format or style or content will unfold; merely that it will be a place where I'll scribble about fashion, music and occasional miscellaneous gumph. I expect for a while I'll be burbling to a non-existent audience, as I suppose is the case with any new blog, but burble I shall.

The name is a corruption of an Eartha Kitt lyric [you win points if you can guess which one]. People talk a lot about Nina Simone and Billie Holliday, and certainly these ladies are to be admired. But I'd like to see a little more love for Eartha - it's kinda sad that she seems to be most famous for 'Santa Baby' when it wasn't a patch on her better stuff. She was as cool and funny as Nina, she could sing in Turkish, she sang unashamedly about wanting to be filthy stinking rich, and her French accent is devastating - if it doesn't reduce you to rubble, there's something a bit wrong with you. Download C'est Si Bon if you can find it.

x

No comments: