Wednesday 19 March 2008

Dry the rain

My biggest weakness is umbrellas. It started a year and a half ago, when someone left a £100 umbrella in the club where I work... and still hadn't claimed it after six months. By the law of finders-keepers, it was mine. All 34 inches of Liberty-print silk and sturdy fox frame and maple handle and silver engraving. Miiiiine. And so the obsession began.

My favourite shop in London for brollies is James Smith & Sons, a small, elegant gentlemen's outfitters style emporium on New Oxford St. They do bespoke umbrellas, if you can afford such things, and even mend broken brollies [as I found after a drunken friend shattered the resin cane-top on my favourite parapluie].



I'm not altogether pleased with the manic explosion of florals across the fashion landscape this spring, and I certainly won't be stepping into flouncy little teadresses for spring. But a floral umbrella seems like a gorgeous and practical way to indulge in the trend on my own terms. My favourites:











In the end, not having £120 to spend, I went for this one:



Try out these sites for unusual umbrellas:

Signature Bella
Umbrella Boutique
Simply Umbrellas
Brollies Galore

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

brollies can also be used as lethal weapons!!!

Gen Williams said...

Hehe... they're definitely a good thing for a lady to have at her disposal when she's walking home at night. Another reason to spend money on them...

Unknown said...

Hey, Charponnaise,

I must say I'm a fan and I come across your blog through Google. I'm really excited about what you've created. Especially I'm interested in this particular article about umbrellas.

I'm actually working for the Mirror Reader Offers and we also have got a section on our website dedicated to wind proof umbrellas. So, it seems like it's relevant to what you are writing about here. And I wonder whether it's possible that you put a backlink to us down the article after “Try out these sites for unusual umbrellas” pointing to http://www.mirrorreaderoffers.co.uk/item-PP-UMBRELLA/wind-resistant-umbrella/ with an anchor text of "Wind Proof Umbrella".

We would appreciate it really much!

And, by the way, are you really writing music and what kind of music? To tell, you the truth I also adore playing the electric guitar but preferably with a clean sound and some reverse but it's more like a hobby for me))

Sincerely,
Andrew Marshall

P.S. no, it's not a comment. I just didn't know how to get in touch with you the other way. Feel free to reply my at mirrorreaderoffer@gmail.com