Wednesday 30 April 2008

When you're finally done beating a trend to death, point and laugh at it

Ubiquitous as they are [and not especially attractive] I've never understood the appeal of those Anya Hindmarch bags and their numerous descendents. Perhaps it makes me terribly snobbish but I feel weary just typing the name. Everyone could, of course, just use any other decently sized non-plastic bag out of the hundreds of thousands [millions?] of different decently sized non-plastic bags available to our greedy paws, rather than feeling the need to point out what our bags are not. There are after all an awful lot of very attractive bags around that I certainly wouldn't care to throw away. Who knows... maybe I could even do my shopping in them. There's a thought.


[Image: Fashion Indie at Cafepress.com]

But I suppose this version is briefly more amusing than all the other ripoffs.

Sigh.

Can they all go away now, please?

4 comments:

Liz Lizo said...

this got me laughing so hard. thanks for posting.

S. said...

Great post. What is weird is that the 'ethical aware' people toting them are so proud of the fact that they are ethical that they tote in on their arm like a sort of designer bag.. I do know whay though as it was seen on Keira..ugh.

Have you seen the fake 'I am not a plastic bag' they sell around London?

I felt like writing on them 'i am a child labour bag' I really hope no-one is stupid enough to buy one.

Luxe. said...

Yeah I never 'got' those bags either

Gen Williams said...

Glad it's not just me! Thanks for the comments, everyone. I just think these bags absolutely miss the point, and the rip-offs and piss-takes are no better.

I wonder how long it'll be before someone starts selling a PVC bag styled like a Tesco bag, with 'I Am A Plastic Bag' on it.