Sunday 13 April 2008

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day

Following below's mention of the upcoming film adaptation of Winifred Watson's Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day, I found this very lovely new edition of the book - Persephone Books have re-released a string of books in this format, and the little brother's staff discount in Waterstones encouraged me to buy this one.





I was looking forward to reading it before I even opened the cover, but then I flicked through, and saw that I shall cherish this book for a long time. Mary Thomson's illustrations are splendid and very charming, and if they're anything to go by, Miss Pettigrew's going to be a far less sedate read than I expected - copper-bashing, cheerful drug use and drunken OAPs. What larks!









[Images: scanned. Copyright Persephone Books Ltd]

5 comments:

The Yeti said...

I rather fancy that once the copper blows his whistle for reinforcements he'll get plenty the best of it.

Gen Williams said...

Once I have read the book I shall let you know how the thrilling adventure plays out. I like to think that they'll shake hands, say "Sorry, old chap, no harm done, what!" and pile off to a nice gentlemen's club in Piccadilly to settle it with a drink.

Luxe. said...

This looks wonderful!

Gen Williams said...

To follow up - I have nearly finished it, and wonderful it certainly is. It is charming. I recommend it!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.